Do people still use alarm clocks? If yes then why? In this era of technology and immense advancements, alarm clocks seem like a part of a prior century. It’s almost like it doesn’t belong. But, it has still managed to survive to some extent and evolved itself accordingly to stay relevant.
However, most of the alarm clocks used today are not the conventional antique-looking ones that you would imagine. They are rather advanced and offer many different options like lighting, songs, and sound activation
So, yeah you don’t see alarm clocks like in the above picture anymore but there are people who still use them too.
Do People Still Use The Old Version Alarm Clocks?
Well, yeah there are some people who prefer using the same old alarm clocks. Rather than using their phones or the new advanced ones to wake themselves up. They do this because of the following reasons
- Out of habit: People who have always woken up to the voice of these alarm clocks do it cause its familiar and just works right for them
- Loud Speakers: The speaker of these old alarm clocks are way louder than those of a cell phone
- Convenience: Cell phones also have to be charged to work as alarm clocks which is not always the case. As many people, whilst going to bed not have much battery as they use their phone the whole day through. So you might need to have a switch nearby your bed to use your phone if you want to use your phone as an alarm clock. But phones still make quite convenient and cool alarm clocks. As you can choose the song or tune you want to wake up to and set many other various functions too
- Reliability: Old alarm clocks that you have been using for years to wake up are also very reliable. So the people who have been using it still use it as they know that this is something that has worked for them. And is something that they can rely on without any care
- Beings Of Habit: Humans are beings of habit. So people who grew up using alarm still use alarm clocks, at least some of them
- Antiques: They are also used as antiques. Moreover, there are lots of unique looking alarm clocks that just look amazing wherever they are put. And change the whole look of the room, they are put in
Is using smartphones as alarm clocks bad for your health?
This is something that shocked even me as I myself use my phone as an alarm clock for the time I am writing this article. So when I read an article saying that you shouldn’t use your phone as an alarm clock, I was shocked. Which lead me to do some research, I researched on the topic a bit more and read the article again. I understood that the article was just trying to earn money through affiliate links whilst telling people that mobile phones are bad for you. This is something not completely proved as many of the studies conducted on this side were inconclusive. Many articles out there claim that they are harmful and even cause cancer. The causing cancer part was shunned by many researchers. And the part of the harmful radiation as I said before does not have a definite result
Defendershield has a very good article on this very topic of smartphones and radiations. So give it a look if you want
2 Of The Best Modern Alarm Clocks
There are some really amazing alarm clocks available with some very interesting features that you can use if you have a problem waking up and are a heavy sleeper.
This is Philip’s wake up light which comes with a very great way to gently wake you up. This might be your thing if buzzing alarms are not your thing
It comes with five pleasant nature sounds and also has a stunning sunlight simulation. This is what separates it from all of the other alarm clocks out there. How does it work you ask? Well, it starts with slowly stimulating the sunrise 30 to 40 minutes before your actual alarm time, while slowly shifting from soft dawn to a glistening sunshine that is sure to tell you that its time to wake you up. Many people have proclaimed that this has actually changed their waking up schedule. The light it comes with has 10 different intensities and can also be used as a lamp. Lastly, it just looks great and improves the overall look of your room. It looks very chic and classy.
However, its biggest drawback without a doubt is its price. It might just seem too costly for some people as it is available for $85.52 on Amazon. Which is quite lower than before but still might be too much for an alarm clock. And another con that it has is that its buttons are poorly positioned.
This clock is a bit more than just an alarm clock and can also be referred to as a bedside assistant. Moreover, it is connected to the internet and hence can also be used to check the weather and traffic whenever you go out. It doesn’t take much room and can fit anywhere you like. It also has a slowly brightening screen like in the Philips wake up clock. Additionally, you can choose from a variety of different wake-up sounds. It supports google services and can play Spotify.
It can also control your other home devices and is very easy to set up. Lastly, one of its biggest pros is that it is quite affordable. It costs only $46 which is nearly half the price of the Philips wake up light and comes with a great design which also gives a chic to whichever place you put it
But, it, like everything also has its share of cons too. You cannot make calls with it. Its audio quality is not extraordinary and could be better. Lastly, it requires a phone to set up
Hopefully, this article was helpful in answering some of your alarm clocks-related questions If you have any further clock-related question at all, feel free to use the comment section below. And if you want to read an interesting article on why clocks don’t appear in dreams, we have a great article on just that so do give it a click if you are interested “Why don’t clocks appear in dreams? Clocks and dreams!“. Here is also a link about the history of clocks if you want to give that a look “History of timekeeping devices“